When was the last time you sent a handwritten Thank You note?
Thank You Note Etiquette
Someone does something important for you, you should write a Thank You note. It’s that simple. A rule you may need to revisit is to always, always send a thank you note to anyone who gives you a gift or has been there for you during a difficult time. It could be a small gift, a grandiose gift, a favor, or even more important than a physical gift, someone gives you emotional support. If someone took the time enough to find a gift, do you a favor, be with you during difficult times the fact that they thought of you definitely needs to be acknowledged.
How many times have you wondered if the person you sent something received it?
I know this irritates me because I wonder:
- Did they received it and forgot to acknowledge it?
- Did they appreciated not only the gift but my the time and effort
- Did they even liked what you chose for them
- Do they recognize that I took time out of my busy schedule
- They did know that I chose something that I thought they’d like
And, how do you ask them whether they received it or do they just not have good manners?
The different types of Thank You notes
Different types of gifts almost definitely warrant different notes. It doesn’t matter whether the gift was expensive or a simple favor, you need to invest a little bit of time on a personalized thank you card. Email has also become just too easy however, you don’t have the time, an email is better than nothing. It is important to put a rush on, and I know this from personal experience, the longer you procrastinate writing a note, the more likely you’ll forget about it. Try earnestly to say thanks within a month while it’s fresh is everyone’s mind, yours and the gift-giver. Also, take the time to personalize the note. It may be tempting to keep it short and to the point, but you should take the time to ensure the message is personal and more than just a generic “Thank You for the Gift”.
A Simple Handwritten Thank You Note
A Thank You Note for Someone Visiting
- Thank you for having us over for dinner, for the great company and conversations.
- Thank you for coming, know that our day was more special because you were there with us.
- Thank you so much for being with us on our special day. We’ll never forget the great experience we had together.
- Thank you for inviting us into your lovely home, we had a wonderful time.
- Thanks so much, we had a great time the other night.
A Thank You Note for Someone Caring or Sharing an Experience
- We know you have a busy schedule and appreciate you taking the time to come over. Thank you so much.
- Thank you for being there for me during a difficult time in my life.
- We can never thank you enough for all you’ve done.
- You helped me just when I needed help the most, I appreciate your support.
- Thank you so very much, you have been extremely supportive through a very difficult time.
- I want to thank you for all the support. That was very kind of you.
- Your support has made me a stronger person and I will forever be grateful.
- Thank you for being there for me. Taking the time to help me was a very nice thing for you to do.
- Thank you for thinking of me and for your kindness.
- Thank you my friend and for the most beautiful thing that has ever happened to me.
Sending a Thank You Note For a Gift
- We will treasure the beautiful gift you gave us forever. Thank you for taking the time to choose such a great gift.
- Thank you so much for the thoughtful present, we love the beautiful gift you gave us and will definitely treasure it for years to come.
- We love the great gift you gave us, thank you ever so much for taking the time to choose such a beautiful gift for us.
- We love the gift you gave us and can’t thank you enough for your thoughtfulness.
If someone has really done a lot for you and has supported you during a very difficult time, a hand-written not along with a gift will definitely show your appreciation and leave a lasting impression. Selecting a more personalized gift can also make a lasting impression. You don’t have to wait until the holiday to send out a token of appreciation. An unscheduled gift sent just after someone has shown their kindness can make a difference.
Just Do It Now Before You Forget
Make writing thank you notes a part of your day and your friends, customers, clients, patients, referrer, vendor and it will definitely be pleasant surprised, since most people are not doing it anymore. For businesses, if you want to stand out from the crowd a handwritten note will definitely do this. It can create loyal customers, increase referrals, and essentially help in building a great relationship.
This will be your chance in this age of high tech to put aside the email, the text messages and break out the note cards and do it the way we use to do it, the old-fashioned way.