I believe that the Best Gift Is a Lasting Memory – laughter, kindness, handwritten notes, inspirational quotes, a book of poems.
There are times that sending a handwritten note or a card to someone who is dealing with cancer can have lasting memories. It shows that you cared enough to take the time, in this crazy/busy world to sit down at your desk to write inspirational words of encouragement. A compilation of your favorite poems, or ones you know she may enjoy, will be something she’ll cherish for years to come. Click on the link and check out some of my favorites.
Here are some gift ideas that can inspire or cheer up a friend who is going through chemotherapy. It is at this time that she will need all the support that you can offer. It doesn’t need to be expensive, it can be simply be:
1. A magazine subscription will keep her inspired with great stories, fashion and beauty. There are so many to choose from and this is such an affordable gift that can last a full year. She will think about your kindness every time she received this gift.
2. A series or film trilogy that she hasn’t yet seen or one she would enjoy seeing again.
3. Give Her A reason to laugh.
Laughter is the best medicine – a comedy DVD or taking her to a stand-up live show that would keep her laughing. Researchers at California’s Loma Linda University looked at adults in their 60s and 70s, measuring their stress levels and short-term memory
The study showed lower levels of cortisol, the “stress hormone,” after watching the videos. The non-humor group’s stress levels decreased just slightly. Other stu
dies have also shown even more health benefits of laughter. Studies found that a sense of humor can protect against heart disease, lower cortisol, lower stress, and benefits leading to a better quality of life. Incorporating time to laugh with with friends, watching comedy can enhance learning ability and memory.
4. Beauty items – i.e. nail polish or even a skin brush. One of the claims is that there are benefits to skin brushing. It can be done at home or may be offered at spas and can possibly help:
- Lymphatic Support: Many lymph vessels run just below the skin and proponents of dry brushing claim that brushing the skin regularly helps stimulate the normal lymph flow within the body and help the body detoxify itself naturally.
- Exfoliation: This benefit is often noticed the first time a person dry brushes. The process of running a firm, natural bristled brush over the skin helps loosen and remove dead skin cells, naturally exfoliating skin.
- Clean Pores: The added benefit of exfoliating the skin, is clearing oil, dirt and residue from the pores.
5. Mints, gum, sweets are always useful as her mouth can get really dry from the treatment and it can also affect her taste buds. Our gift basket offers a variety of good and healthy snacks including peppermint candy
crystallized ginger candy and peppermint gum
6. If you’d really like to help out with chores, either offer your services or hire a cleaner for the duration of treatment.
7. If you know what she may like, go shopping for a combination of products and create your own personalized gift basket. This is not too difficult and it may not look “professional” but it doesn’t need to be. It’s a gift from your heart and she will appreciate it even more.
Whatever you decide to buy, make it personal. When you give it to her, make a cup of tea and chat over your choices. It can be items that she’ll treasure forever and it will remind her of your support during a really difficult time. After all, the best gift is a lasting memory!